Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What's for Dinner?

I made this last night for dinner and everyone liked it, it was fairly simple, and it makes a BUNCH!

Sorry I have no photo's. Maybe I will take some next time I make it.

Tomato Alfredo with Sausage

1 1/2 lbs mild Italian Sausage Links (I used fully cooked Kielbasa Sausages. Worked fine)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped or use a garlic press
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium green bell pepper
2 - 14.5oz cans Italian seasoned diced tomatoes, undrained
1 - 15oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar (I used about a half a tsp for fear of making it actually taste sweet. Around here we like to say "NO SWEET MEAT!")
16 oz uncooked mostaccioli, rigatoni or penne (I used rotini)
1/4 cup of whipping cream (I used heavy cream and I used about 3/8ths cup)
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I used the stuff in the green can. Take if from a wife of a man who works at a cheese plant... it's all the same as the fresh stuff... just costs less)

How to Put it all together:

If you use Kielbasa then you can skip step 1 & 2 because it is already cooked, but you should warm it up a bit in the skillet before adding the garlic.

1. Removed and discard casings from sausage links. Cut sausages crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces.

2. Cook sausage in large saute pan over medium heat for 8 minutes.

3. Add Garlic and continue cooking 2 minutes. Drain if necessary.

4. Stir in onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce and sugar. The pot was REALLY full at this point. I ended up moving it to a bigger pot rather than a saute pan.

5. Bring to a boil. Ruduce heat; simmer 20 minutes; stirring occasionally.

6. While sauce is cooking, prepare your pasta choice as directed on the pasta package and drain.

7. Remove sausage mixture from heat and gradually stir in whipping cream.

8. Serve over hot pasta. (I mixed it all together) Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.

So there you go! This was our dinner last night and it was GOOD!

Enjoy! Let me know if you try it and what you tweaked!

No comments: